In 2006, the Port published its first strategic plan in more than two decades. First updated in 2009, it articulated a vision for the Port for the following decade. The plan is now updated on an ongoing basis to reflect the evolving priorities and overarching goals driven by the continued operating challenges of bigger ships and the transition in the Port’s executive leadership.
The 2019 Strategic Plan is critical to clarifying the current strategic direction of the Port and its future outlook. The Port has a clear vision for the future – one that balances its role as a facilitator of a seamlessly integrated, end-to-end supply chain, a world leader in optimized goods movement, an innovator of sustainable infrastructure, a pioneer in environmental stewardship and an engine for economic prosperity.
The Plan charts the course for the future by outlining the Port’s vision, mission and guiding principles, and by establishing clear goals:
- Strengthen the Port’s competitive position through secure and efficient movement of cargo while providing outstanding customer service.
- Maintain financial strength and security of assets.
- Develop and maintain state-of-the-art infrastructure that enhances productivity and efficiency in goods movement.
- Improve the environment through sustainable practices and the reduction of environmental impacts from Port operations and development.
- Broaden community access to Port-related opportunities and economic benefits.
- Attract, develop and retain a diverse, high-performing workforce.
The Port of Long Beach Strategic Plan will serve as our roadmap as we journey into the future.