Updated Mobile App for Port of Long Beach Bridge Project Available
December 27, 2018
The Port of Long Beach has launched an updated mobile app for its bridge replacement project to give motorists, port workers, and the greater Southern California community improved traffic condition updates, real-time news about construction progress and other user-friendly features.
With bridge completion about a year away, the improved mobile app will continue to help travelers remain informed of any detours or overnight closures that are required to finish the many improvements that will come with the taller and wider structure. The updated app also makes it easier for mobile device users to view the many exciting and informative stories, pictures and videos detailing the bridge’s progress and the people behind the $1.47 billion project.
Other features from the free mobile app’s more user-friendly design and technology update include:
• The ability to sign up for the weekly email updates that provide a look-ahead to construction-related traffic detours and closures as well as interesting features about the bridge.
• The ability to sign up for one of the free monthly tours of the bridge construction project, or to request a community presentation.
• Improved access and viewing of the three live project webcams.
• Improved integration with Google Maps and access to traffic podcasts to assist motorists with traffic conditions along the bridge route and adjoining roads.
• Better push notifications that may be needed to alert users to urgent situations, such as a traffic accident that may be blocking lanes on the current bridge.
“Our primary goal with the mobile app is to keep motorists, port workers and others informed on a real-time basis about construction progress and to assist them in navigating the detours. We improved the look and feel of the app to make it easier to access the most commonly used features, such as interactive traffic maps, traffic podcasts and live webcams,” said Duane Kenagy, Port of Long Beach Capital Programs Executive. “Thousands of people currently use and enjoy the app. With this update, we hope many more will see the advantages of having this app on their mobile devices.”
The LB Bridge app can easily be downloaded from the Apple App Store for iPhone, iPad and iPod touch users, the Google Play Store for Android devices, or from the app page on the bridge website. Current users will receive the new version when they run an update.
When completed, currently estimated in late 2019, the new cable-stayed bridge will include six traffic lanes and four emergency shoulders, a higher clearance to accommodate large cargo ships, a bike and pedestrian path with scenic overlooks, and more efficient transition ramps and connectors to improve traffic flow, especially among trucks.
The $1.47 billion project will provide the Port of Long Beach and greater port complex a state-of-the-art bridge capable of meeting the needs for international cargo movement for the next 100 years. The Long Beach bridge project is a joint effort of Caltrans and the Port of Long Beach, with additional funding support from the U.S. Department of Transportation and the Los Angeles County Metropolitan Transportation Authority (Metro).
To watch construction live via webcams and for other details, visit www.newgdbridge.com.