Port Sets Course for Operational Excellence
Harbor Commission approves new Strategic Plan
April 23, 2019
The Long Beach Board of Harbor Commissioners this week approved an updated Strategic Plan for the Port of Long Beach, laying out the key goals and objectives for the nation’s second-busiest container seaport to continue prospering, meeting the needs of the industry and serving the community.
As one of the most successful seaports in the world, the Port of Long Beach aims to continue its leadership in customer service, environmental stewardship, security and community partnership. The Harbor Department periodically updates the Port’s Strategic Plan under the guidance of the Harbor Commission.
“As Harbor Commissioners, we have a responsibility to ensure that the Port is doing everything it can to meet the needs of our customers, our industry, and the community we serve,” said Tracy Egoscue, President of the Long Beach Board of Harbor Commissioners. “This updated Strategic Plan will guide our team as we meet the challenges and opportunities ahead.”
“In a highly competitive industry like ours, we must think strategically. The Strategic Plan, as created with the leadership of our Board of Harbor Commissioners, defines how we will maintain our longstanding commitment to operational excellence well into the next decade,” said Port of Long Beach Executive Director Mario Cordero.
Six strategic goals set the foundation of the updated plan:
- Strengthen the Port’s competitive position through secure and efficient movement of cargo while providing outstanding customer service
- Maintain financial strength and security of assets
- Develop and maintain state-of-the-art infrastructure that enhances productivity and efficiency in goods movement
- Improve the environment through sustainable practices and the reduction of environmental impacts from Port operations and development
- Broaden community access to Port-related opportunities and economic benefits
- Attract, develop and retain a diverse, high-performing workforce
The Port of Long Beach Strategic Plan is available here.